Sunday, February 15, 2009

Week 4

Digital Storytelling- Reading this section makes me see how poorly I had been taught the writing process. I don't think that I am alone in feeling this way. My daughter who is now a high school senior and a very good student, feels that she wasn't taught this process either. I remember learning about the hero process but never having been taught that it is a very effective tool for many types of writing. Now I am wondering if it is something that I should use when I do a PowerPoint lesson explaining how to do something- whether it is how to research effectively, how to use a particular database or our card catalog, or even how to produce and effective PowerPoint.

I am also feeling overwhelmed because I don't feel like I understand the writing process well enough to be able to teach it effectively. What I am wondering is if language arts teachers are better versed at this and if this is something that could be taught collaboratively. The language arts teacher teaching the writing process of the project and me as the library media specialist working with the students on the technology piece of the project. I feel like I am much better able to do that than to teach the entire process.

Oehler does give some very ideas for creating a story and those examples could be a jump start to a project. I am relieved to see that on pg. 97 he discussed story block and gave some pointers as to how to get around that dilemma. I also liked the grid on pg. 96 with several problems, several solutions, and several transformations. As a beginning project a class could brainstorm several responses for each category and then mix them up to create some funny stories. That might be a good introduction to the process and much less threatening perhaps for students who might not feel that they have any good ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.